How to apply for social security card online free?
A Social Security card is one of the most important documents you own. If you lose your card you face difficulties in getting a job, obtaining other ID’s such as a driver’s license or passport and in opening a bank account.
Don’t worry if this happens, as the Social Security Administration has a simple procedure for replacing a lost card. You can either download the SS-5 form or apply for social security card online free.
The limit extends to three replacement Social Security cards per year and only 10 in a lifetime. So keep your card safely in a place to avoid loss or damage or get to know about how to apply for social security card online free.
Apply for social security card online free:
1. Login your my Social Security
2. Find “My Home” then “Overview”
3. Click “Replacement Documents
Download the Social Security SS-5 Form:
To get a new social security card, you have to complete a government form called the SS-5 and submit at least two supporting documents as identity proofs for age and citizenship status.
How to apply for social security card online free?
Fill the SS-5 form and mail it along with your supporting documents to your nearest Social Security office or submit them there in person. A copy of form SS-5 online can be taken and can be filled on your computer, but can’t be submitted online. If you find any such site giving you online submission option, then don’t use it as it may be a scam.
Documents required to apply for social security card online free:
Documents as proof of applicant’s age, identity and citizenship status are required to be submitted when applying for a Social Security card. Only original or certified copies of these documents are acceptable.
Situations when you require form SS-5 and how to use it in such situations:
- You had no Social Security card before. Your parents must have not applied on your behalf and you need one now to get a job: – For this you will have to appear in person at your local Social Security office for an interview and prove that you have never been assigned a Social Security number.
Documents acceptable as proof include records demonstrating that you lived outside of the United States long term or, if you haven’t been outside the country long term, your school records.
Your social security card got lost, stolen or damaged:- In these cases, there is a limit given by the Social Security Administration (SSA) to you which is three replacement cards per calendar year and 10 per lifetime. For this simply just fill out form SS-5 and gather the required supporting documents.
- Change in your name due to marriage or divorce or for some other reason, and you need a new card with your new name: – For this, in addition to the basic requirements for form SS-5, you’ll need an original or a certified copy (not merely a photocopy or notarized copy) of your marriage license.
- Change in citizenship status, like you’ve gone from holding legal residency (green card status) to becoming a U.S. citizen:- If you’ve changed your status, you might need a new card before you can work or change jobs and for this You will need to submit additional supporting documents, such as your certificate of U.S. citizenship.
- Your present card contains a clerical error such as a misspelled name or wrong birth date and you want to get a new card with accurate information: – Getting a replacement Social Security card for correcting an error is basically the same as getting a replacement Social Security card for any other reason. You need to include a brief note requesting error correction with your application to make sure the replacement card is issued accurately, as there is no place on form SS-5 to indicate the same.
- You just gave birth to a child or adopted a child, and you want to get a card for him or her so you can claim your child as a dependent on your tax return:- this situation is another common reason for applying for a Social Security card. As per the SSA recommendations, as a parent you should get him or her Social Security number as soon as possible.
In fact, you can apply for it at the hospital itself when you are applying for a birth certificate. If you are filling out an application on behalf of someone else, including a child younger than 18, you will require to prove your identity as well as the applicant’s identity.
You will also have to prove that how you are related to them or responsible for them. In order to prove your relation with them you will have to submit additional documents as per SSA requirements. Else, the application process is the same as if you were applying for your own card.
You take care of an adult dependent, and you need a Social Security card for them so as to obtain government benefits for them and manage their finances: – If you are filling out an application on behalf of someone else, you will require proving your identity as well as the applicant’s identity. You will also have to prove that how you are related to them or responsible for them.
In order to prove your relation with them you will be have to submit additional documents as per SSA requirements. Else, the application process is the same as if you were to apply for social security card online free.
For Social Security Card Applications, DIY Is Best:
In order to safeguard your personal information, it is advisable by the SSA to not approach the available businesses that you can pay to fill out a Social Security card application for you and tell you what documents are required to be submitted. The SSA doesn’t recommend taking that route to limit who gets your sensitive personal information.
If you complete the paperwork yourself, it’s free for you, as you can avail the facility to apply for social security card online free.
Don’t forget to double-check your work so as to avoid any careless mistake that might delay your application. Maintain a record of everything you submit by making photocopies when you apply for social security card online free. Wait for about 10 business days to receive your new card once all your paperwork is squared away with the SSA.