How do you get a new social security card?

Getting a new social security card

Lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed social security card, or change in legal name accounts your eligibility to apply for a new card free of cost.

“How do you get a new social security card?”

This question can be on your mind.

The process has been explained below in three main parts; in short you will need to submit a completed application as well as several documents proving your identity and social security eligibility.

1. Gather Required Documents:

• Necessary documents proving citizenship and identity of adults, child, citizens, and non-citizens are required to be gathered and collected by them.

• United States-born adult and child, Foreign-born U.S. citizen adult locate your U.S. passport to present to the SSA. If you do not have a U.S. passport, an original Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Certificate of Report of Birth (DS-1350), or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, can be presented.

Prove your identity by presenting the following to the SSA:

United States-born adults, foreign-born U.S. citizen adults and U.S. citizen parents applying for their child’s card present an original, unexpired document that shows their name, date of birth or age, and preferably contains a recent photograph, which may include a U.S. driver’s license, state-issued non-driver identification card, or a U.S passport. In case you don’t have any of these documents and are unable to obtain a replacement within ten days, you provide an employee ID card, school ID card, health insurance card, or U.S. military ID card.

Non-U.S. citizen foreign workers, foreign students (F-1 or M-1), or exchange visitors (J-1 or J-2) present a current DHS document, including a Permanent Resident Card, an Arrival/Departure Record with unexpired foreign passport/admission stamp in the unexpired foreign passport, or Employment Authorization Document from DHS.

United States-born children, foreign-born U.S. citizen children and Non-U.S. citizen children present an original Permanent Resident Card, Departure Record with unexpired foreign passport; or EAD/work permit from DHS. In case of no DHS document, present an original document showing child’s name, date of birth, age or parents’ names, containing a recent photograph. Additional documents accepted: the child’s state issued non-drivers identification card; adoption decree; doctor, clinic, or hospital record; religious record, daycare center record; or school identification card.

How do you get a new social security card? It’s not that complicated.

Prove immigration status by presenting the following to the SSA:

Non-citizen adults and children present their current U.S. immigration document, including: a Lawful Permanent Resident Card, Machine Readable Immigrant Visa; Employment Authorization Document, EAD, work permit; Arrival/Departure Record/ admission stamp in your unexpired foreign passport.

Foreign students (F-1 or M-1) also present their Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status.

Exchange visitors (J-1 or J-2) present their Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.

Prove work eligibility. In addition to identity proofs, non-U.S. citizens also have to present documents proving their work eligibility and present the following to the SSA:

Foreign workers present their Arrival/Departure Record or unexpired foreign passport with an admission stamp and some will be required to show their Employment Authorization Document, EAD, work permit from DHS.

F-1 students provide a letter from the applicable school that identifies and confirms their current school status and also identifies their employer and the type of work to perform. In addition their employment evidence may be required, such as: a recent paystub; or a signed and dated letter from the supervisor that sets forth the job; the employment start date; the numbers of working hours; and the supervisor’s name and contact information.

If applicable, you may be asked to present a Form I-20 with the employment page completed and signed by the designated school official, and/or a work permit from DHS.

J-1 students must provide an original and signed letter from their sponsor on the sponsor’s letterhead authorizing the employment.

For name change present SSA with

Marriage document.

  • Certificate of Naturalization showing the new name.
  • Court order approving the name change.
  • Divorce decrees.
  • Children may present a final adoption decree with the new name, court order approving the name change, or an amended birth certificate with the new name.
  • Adult or child may present an identity document in their expired name, in case they don’t have these documents.

2. Application completion:

• Get an application online at:, print the application on standard white letter-size paper or A4 paper, or get it at your local Social Security Office.

Use blue or black ink

• Write your first name, middle name, and last name in full. Include different names if used in between and also birth name if it is different from the name written in application.

• Clearly mention your social security number.

• Provide place of birth (without abbreviating), date of birth (month, day, year format, using numerical values), city, state or city and foreign country for the place of birth.

• Mention citizenship status as a U.S. Citizen, Legal Alien Allowed to Work, Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work, or Other.

• Mark your ethnicity as Hispanic or Latino and race as Native Hawaiian, American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, White, or Other Pacific Islander (this is not mandatory).

• Mark your sex.

• Provide your parents’ full names and social security numbers.

• Answer the remaining questions on the form accordingly.

• For contact information provides your phone number and current mailing address where the new card will be sent.

• Write the current date and sign your full name, wherever indicated. You will also need to note your relationship to the person who the application is for. This relationship can be “self,” “natural or adoptive parent,” “legal guardian,” or “other”.

3. Application submission:

• Find your local Social Security Card office at: and submit the application in person.

• Gather your completed application and all other necessary documents and submit your application and documents by mail or in person.

• Ask for a receipt, if needed, at the time of your submission, to confirm the submission of your application.

• Wait for your new card to arrive.

If you are worried about “How do you get a new social security card?” you need not worry too much as the above stated information can prove to be of great help.

Your application will be processed after submission and a new social security card will be printed at a secured location, which will be sent to you via the U.S. postal service and this usually takes 7 to 14 business days.

Read our next article before you get a copy of your Social Security Card.