Losing both your birth certificate and social security card at the same time can be devastating. After all, without these two very important documents, one can hardly get anything done. If you ever find yourself in this situation, it is vital that you get out of it as soon as you can.

This article seeks to help readers with that. It delves into the specific processes behind acquiring a replacement social security card. We suggest that readers pay close attention as this scenario happens more often than you think.

Acquiring a New Social Security Card

Before anything else, we shall be explaining why this article focuses on getting a social security card instead of both documents simultaneously. The reason for that is because processing the request at the same time is simply impossible. Birth certificate requests require a social security card. On the other hand, birth certificates are not necessarily required when getting a new social security card.

At this point, the first thing you need to do is get a copy of those request forms. You can get them online or by visiting the local social security administration office in your area, whichever is more convenient for you. Make sure to fill the forms up as accurately as you can to avoid any further problems down the road.

What happens when you lost your birth certificate and social security card?

When handing in your request, make sure that you have attached the required documents along with your forms. As stated earlier, the birth certificate itself is not required. However, the authorities will be needing other forms of identification. Make sure to bring original documents like marriage contracts, divorce certifications, passports and other valid IDs. Keep in mind that everything you bring must be original or certified copies. Photocopied documents will be rejected.

Once you have passed the necessary requirements, it is simply a matter of time before you get a new card. When you have it, only then can you apply for a copy of your birth certificate. Need same day card replacement?