A lost social security card can turn into an awfully serious situation quickly. Common sense would tell you that you have to keep it in a safe and secure location at all times. However, many people seem to ignore this basic piece of advice anyway. As one of the most important forms of IDs in the United States, it contains a number of sensitive information that simply cannot fall into the wrong hands.

Luckily, there are specific ways to protect yourself from harm. Getting a replacement card, for instance, should be one of your main priorities. In times like these, social security card owners need to be able to act quickly. Delaying the matter can only result in bigger troubles down the road. This article seeks to help you navigate this type of situation.

Replace Lost Social Security Card Application Form

Before anything else, it is vital that you tell the proper authorities of your situation. This means you have to pay the local Social Security Administration office near you a visit. Explain to them the exact circumstances of how you came to lose your social security card. This is vital especially if they deem your card to be at risk of identity theft. If this happens, then you may have a bigger problem in your hands.

Once you have talked to the SSA representative about your case, you will need to file a request for a replacement social security card. Keep in mind that this service is completely free of charge so money should not be an issue here. The SSA will give you a couple of forms to fill-up. These will mostly be about your personal information so make sure that you answer accurately.

Once that is done, you will be asked to submit a couple of supplementary documents that prove your identity. So make sure to bring official documents like your birth certificate and the like. It is vital that these are original copies and not photocopies.

Application for lost or stolen social security card

Once you have all the requirements together, you can then proceed to file your application. If everything goes well, you will have your forms in a matter of days.